Thursday, March 17, 2011

PFB Owners Championship Picks 19-28

I was recently invited to participate in the inaugural Pro Fantasy Baseball Championship league. Over the weekend we conducted our snake draft. The league encompasses writers/managers from 12 different Fantasy Baseball sites. The league is a standard 5x5 daily roto league. It consists of C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, CI, MI, 4OF, 2Util, 4SP, 2RP, 2P, 7BN, 2DL. The day before the draft I was emailed the draft order where I was slotted 11th, then when I entered the draft room I was pleasantly surprised to see I was now 4th. Not sure what happened and I didn't question the change...just a small fist pump.

Going into the draft, I had four strategies I wanted to implement. Draft top line NL SP to contend for ERA, use my
Closer strategy to win the Saves category, fill my OF with speed guys, and don't miss out on a top tier 1B. I stuck to my pre-draft strategy and feel I did very well by the end of the draft. Here is my team.

1.
(4)
SS
2.
(21)
3B
3.
(28)
1B
4.
(45)
C,1B
5.
(52)
OF
6.
(69)
SP
7.
(76)
SP
8.
(93)
SP
9.
(100)
RP
10.
(117)
OF
11.
(124)
OF
12.
(141)
RP
13.
(148)
Util
14.
(165)
2B,3B
15.
(172)
RP
16.
(189)
RP
17.
(196)
OF
18.
(213)
OF
19.
(220)
1B,OF
20.
(237)
2B,3B,SS,OF
21.
(244)
SP,RP
22.
(261)
RP
23.
(268)
RP
24.
(285)
OF
25.
(292)
SP
26.
(309)
SP
27.
(316)
C
28.
(333)
2B,OF


AS for this segment of the draft I feel confident about my strategy. I secured an above average rotation, I did not miss out on a power 1B, collected as many closers as I could, and have excellent speed guys. With my next pick I needed to fill my CI spot. I wanted some power and a guy that would not hurt me in any one category. The best player on the board for my need was Luke Scott.
In round 20 I wanted a multi-position player that I could slide into virtually any spot on my roster. I feel the top super utility player this year will be Infante. He qualifies at every position but 1B and C. A nice luxury to have on your bench in daily leagues. This round consisted of numerous SP and other super utility guys like Uribe and Cuddyer.
I still had an open SP slot for round 21 and went with a pitcher with both SP and RP. I also consider Zambrano as a great comeback player this year. Him being a head case is now behind him and he turned in excellent number the 2nd half of the season. So I get a former ace with dual eligibility here. I like Big Z rounding out my rotation.  This round saw the first wave of wait-in-line closers come off the board. Players like Sale and Kou. Excellent RPs for peripheral numbers and could garner a save now and then.
Now that my roster is complete it was time to decide on my bench. I wanted a couple of closers in waiting so I selected both Uehara and Ogando with my next picks. If Gregg falters in Baltimore, Uehara is next in line for the closers job. If Texas moves Neftali to the rotation Ogando slides into the closers role. I saw Nyjer Morgan go in this round; he won’t even start the year in the majors. I did like the Montero pick; he could take the Yankees by storm if he can live up to the hype.  He even went before Russell Martin.  Former Cy Young winner Johan was grabbed also. I do not see him returning anytime soon to help a team.
With 5 picks to go to fill a deep bench I wanted a 2nd C, an additional OF and at least another solid NL SP. I went with the OF in this round. Maggs was still available and could be batting 3rd in a nice Motown line-up. A great career BA, and a contributor across the power categories to boot.
Round 25: I scoured the remaining NL SP for a solid pick who has been consistent over the last few years. I came up with Arroyo. Not great K potential but has numerous W over the last 3 years, decent ERA and WHIP.  Debated over possibly Chris Young for the Mets but the recent injury led me back to Bronson. Young then went later this round.
With 3 picks to go I knew I had no problem finding a back-up C so looked for someone with real upside who has fallen out of favor. Some names I threw around were Peralta, Alex Gordon, Iannetta, and Tejada. On the pitcher side Webb really stood out. If he can come back to nearly what he did before the surgery I have a great pick if not I dump him by May 1st.
Next to last pick…take a 2nd C I told myself. Ok I will take the only C who will bat leadoff this year. He can squeak me out some R from that position on the few occasions Martinez sits in Detroit.
My Mr. Irrelevant pick went with dual eligibility, 20 Hr power Bill Hall. Low risk high reward against the right match-ups.
So…how did I do? Where are my weaknesses? Hit me up with some comments and suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment