Tuesday, March 12, 2013

My First League Auction 13'



This auction consisted of C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, 3OF, 2UTIL, 8P, 5BENCH, 1DL with 1400 max IP with daily line-up changes. My strategy coming in was to test my values I had set for each player. I was determined to not bid more than $2 over my set values for any player. After completing a few mock auction drafts I felt my valuations for players were accurate and would see how the deviations in value would play out. Here is my team and the picks/draft positions/$paid.
1
23
$42
2
40
$24
3
45
$18
4
64
$19
5
107
$22
6
114
$16
7
124
$19
8
127
$9
9
145
$7
10
149
$10
11
151
$2
12
185
$5
13
186
$1
14
193
$9
15
198
$2
16
206
$6
17
207
$2
18
208
$4
19
209
$4
20
213
$3
21
214
$5
22
218
$6
23
219
$5


As you can see it took me until the 23rd selection to get a winning bid. The players were going well over my valuations early and often. Once the draft started I wanted to get a hitter in the top 10, top 20, top 30, top 40 and top 50 for sure that fit into my valuations and had batting averages above .280 as I wanted to come close to winning BA category. I did that with my first 4 picks. By this time all the top tier SP were off the board and overpriced. By my 4th pick in Zobrist 34 players were off the boards that were bid up over $30 in price. As you can see I have one in Fielder. At this pace I knew I would be sitting with cash since I was not over bidding.
With nearly the top 20 SP off the board by pick 100 I knew I should start to build my staff yet still trying to stick to my valuations. Outbid everyone on both Sale and Medlen to anchor my staff and was happy to get both yet they are young and fairly inexperienced. Hope neither will be on an innings limit this year. I targeted Rizzo for 1 utility spot and Ryan Howard for the other. Got Rizzo but missed Howard by $5. I put up Aoki for both speed and Runs and wanted a combination of him, Victorino, and Gomez. I knew I could get 2 of the 3 and did. Felt Peavy was a bargain at $10, right near my valuation. Machado went up and I bid $2 just to drive up the price. I did not want him and got stuck with him. Parker at $5 was just over my valuation but still a good pitcher at the Coliseum.  Starting staff young with great upside but not proven.
I put up Wil Myers thinking her would be bid up but no. A wasted roster spot for the time being.  By this time only 3-4 of us had any money to bid over $5 the rest of the draft so I announced who I wanted to be selected and scooped up 10 players over the next 26 nominations. Really happy with Chris Davis as my 2nd Utility, Seager at 3B, Rutledge at SS, Doumit as back up C. Should not lose a single game played at C with both Mauer and Doumit. I saved the rest of my money as planned to amass a strong closer group on the cheap. I picked 4 mid tier closers and should compete for tops in Saves barring injury. In this final melee I grabbed Escobar for more speed, and Firers as another SP. Still haven’t crunched the numbers on having 5 SP and 4 Closers while getting close to or over the 1400 IP mark while holding a good ERA and WHIP. Probably need another SP to max out innings.
Overall I have a team of multi-position players which always helps to not lose ABs on days off. This team has above average power and Batting Average. Speed and are Runs average. Highly volatile SP staff with good K potential. I will compete for Saves lead too all year. Overall this is a young team! Many sleepers and unproven players over the long haul but balanced as well. Looking back I could have taken another veteran hitter or elite starter. I will keep you posted all year on my progress through the many leagues.

No comments:

Post a Comment