By Corey R. Cunningham
As the trade deadline for MLB approaches, each and every team already has an idea if they will be selling or buying. For a lot of team, they will be selling to strengthen the farm systems and for some teams will be buying and selling the farm teams.
Here is taking a look at what has happened and what rumors are going around the MLB:
- DH Jim Thome has been traded for a pair of Single A prospects. This gives Thome Fantasy relevance once again.
- 3B Kevin Youkilis was sent packing and exchanging color of socks for a AAA prospect and Brent Lillibridge. Youk’s Fantasy value stays nearly the same. Still an injury risk and not an everyday player. He loses roughly 6 ABs a week. Lillibridge may get some additional playing time now that McDonald was sent down by the BoSox.
- The Yankees picked up Chad Qualls off waivers for a player to be named later or cash considerations. Qualls has no Fantasy value outside of Holds leagues.
- Pirates claimed INF Drew Sutton off waivers from Tampa Bay. No Fantasy relevance.
- The Dodgers have all but pulled the plug on trying to acquire Carlos Lee from Houston in exchange for a RHP prospect or two.
- The Phillies are calling teams about Lefty Cole Hamels availability and are asking for 4-5 prospects in return
There will be a lot of movement to come in the next couple of weeks, and prospects have been on the move before, and it will not stop anytime soon. However, an interesting note to consider now; teams who trade for players, I.E. Cole Hamels for the remainder of the season and if Hamels does not resign a contract, that particular team will not only be out Hamels, and the prospects they gave up, they will now be out compensation picks, as part of the new rules going into effect.
I do not see the big market teams being huge buyers this trade deadline, as the RedSox and Yankees are trying to get below salary level, and if anything it will be small moves to improve bullpens. I believe the Tigers, and Angels will also fall in the footsteps as the Sox and Yanks due to their payroll spending.
The biggest names for the trade market thus far: LHP Cole Hamels, RHP Zack Greinke, OF Shane Victorino and LHP Francisco Liriano.
My predictions if all get traded: Hamels to the St. Louis, Greinke to the Atlanta, Victorino to the Indians and Liriano to the Yankees.