Thursday, January 20, 2011

Mock Draft Analysis...2nd Half

I started off the second half of the draft wanting one more decent OF. I thought I better get some speed or someone with huge upside that might be out of favor after a previously down year. It came down to Crisp, Bay, and Ordonez. I went with a switching hitting leadoff man who could get me 30SB and close to 85R if he stays healthy.
From here on out it was time to round out my pitching staff. For round 16 I had my sights set on Dan Hudson, the former ChiSox hurler who came over to the D’Backs in the Edwin Jackson trade last year. What I target in SP after I draft my top two studs is NL only SP. On average the NL pitchers have lower ERA than their counter parts in the AL. They get to face the opposing SP twice a game instead of the DH in the AL. Unfortunately Hudson was plucked off the board three picks before me. I then went with Zambrano. When he is on he can be lights out. When he is not he is a basket case. The Cubs required he go to counseling for some of his issues and he came back in the second half last year with an 8-0 record and a mouth watering 1.58 ERA.
The next four rounds I decided it was time to own the Saves category. I picked up Rodriguez in round 17, Lidge in 18, and Franklin in round 20. Wedged in between them I picked up a Clayton Richards. He is the lefty who gets to pitch half his games in the spacious, pitcher friendly, Petco Park. (This kid is from my home town too).
For the last 6 rounds I still needed my second C (yawn) , another SP or two, the Utility spot and my bench filled.  To start off I drafted Chris Johnson 3B from Houston. He is someone who will not match last year’s BA but could be a guy to fill my Utility spot with some pop and RBI. He may be hitting 2nd but more like 5th in the Astros order and could be a real surprise.  My next pick I was extremely happy to get Berkman. He will hit behind Pujols and Holliday in the 5 hole. If he can come anywhere to his career number across the board he will be a steal for the 22nd round. He also has 1B eligibility. He is going in my Utility slot right now.
Round 23 I picked up another NL SP who will pitch in the NL West (pitchers heaven). I took Jon Garland. He is just an average starter who should get some help, stat wise, moving to this division. Next it was, YES, another saves getter by the name of Fernando Rodney.  Went on after that and selected my 2nd C. I drafted Pierzynski…only because I watch a lot of White Sox games. Have you ever drafted a guy late in a draft just because he is on a team you watch on TV? I advise against it…but what the heck he is my 2nd catcher plus I get to watch Hawk Harrelson say “HE GAWN!”
Rounding out the draft I selected Pineiro in the 26th. I had my eye on the Japanese rookie for Minnesota I thought Nishioka that could replace Roberts if necessary. He went at the end of the previous round. My last two picks were the rookie 2B in Seattle, Ackley. Finally a sleeper of mine. I like Brandon Belt to break camp with SF and win the 1B job.
Here is my team. Do you like? Where do I need help and what stats am I weak at?
C-WEITERS & PIERZYNSKI
1B-HOWARD
2B- KINSLER
3B- REYNOLDS (1B ELIGIBILITY)
SS-TULO
CI-KONERKO
MI-ROBERTS
UTIL-BERKMAN
OF-MARKAKIS, SIZEMORE, HUFF, PAGAN, CRISP (HUFF HAS 1B ELIGIBILITY)
SP-KING FELIX, SABATHIA, ZAMBRANO, RICHARDS, GARLAND, PINEIRO
RP-MARMOL, RODRIGUEZ, LIDGE, FRANKLIN, RODNEY
BENCH-CHRIS JOHNSON, DUSTIN ACKLEY, BRANDON BELT
The projections have me anywhere from 2nd-8th. Here is a run down. Projections

No comments:

Post a Comment