Monday, January 16, 2012

Top Prospect of Pacific Coast League


The Pacific Coast league is known for its offensive numbers, this makes the list for this topic pretty long. It’s hard to choose just one prospect in this league when you have players such as, 3B Brett Lawrie TOR, 2B Dustin Ackley SEA, 3B Mike Moustakas KC, 1B Brandon Belt SF, 1B Anthony Rizzo CHI. The list goes on and on with top prospects. Top Prospect watch from Minor League to MLB: 2B Dustin Ackley SEA.

Ackley was drafted 2nd overall in the 09' draft out of UNC by the Seattle Mariners. He was rated a pre-2010 #11 prospect, and by Baseball America standards they hit this one on the head. Ackley was sent right to AA where he hit .263 in 289 AB's and only 41 strikeouts. Ackley is no power hitter by any means, however, he is a contact hitter, and will hit for average. Ackley was promoted to AAA just after 82 total games in 2010. In 10' at Tacoma Ackley hit .274, with 5 HR and 23 RBIs, and slugging an impressive .439. After the 2010 season, Ackley was sent back to AAA Tacoma for the 2011 season for a total of 66 games. In those games, Ackley batted .303, slugged .487 hitting a career minor league best 9 HR on top of 35 RBIs in 271 AB's. Ackley had earned a promotion to the big leagues on June 17, of 2011. In his first 5 games he had a 5 game hit streak, in his first 12 games, he had 12 hits. Ackley continued to show off hitting in 64 of an 87 games started span. In those 64 of 87 games, he had 22 multi-hit games.

Ackley will be finding his home in Seattle for the next several years to come, if Seattle does not sign him to an early extension. I can see Ackley staying in a Mariners uniform for his career. You don't see too many contact bats like Ackley's. After Seattle sent Michael Pineda to the Yankees for top catching prospect Jesus Montero, watch out for Seattle to start scoring runs. Yes, the acquisition of Albert Pujols and perhaps Fielder going to Texas might affect the season for Seattle in the AL West, however, don't count Seattle out of the Fielder sweepstakes just yet. If Prince notices Seattle's pitching depth in AAA, and AA and with him realizing Jesus Montero, Dustin Ackley, Ichiro Suzuki, Mike Carp, Justin Smoak, and Franklin Gutierrez in the line-up, I would sign in Seattle. Ackley will be Seattle's starting 2B and you will want to target him depending on where you draft and the amount of roster spots you have in the 8th to 10th round. Draft with total confidence.

5 comments:

  1. I agree with you that Ackley is a definite looker in this year's fantasy draft (especially since I'm looking for him in my draft). But I think that Brett Lawrie is the number one prospect to pick up, even before Ackley. Not only does Lawrie have all the tools to be a powerhouse in his first full season in the majors. Also, the team around Lawrie is more solidified than Ackley. In my mind, and in my fantasy draft, I find that Lawrie is the go-to prospect draft. On a side note, I really enjoy your insight on your blog. I am a big fantasy baseball players myself, and I enjoy reading others insight in the game and I find your analysis very insightful.Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I like Lawrie as well, and a lot of people will be targeting both Lawrie and Ackley, I just feel there is more 3B than 2B. Lawrie being a 3B, I feel there is a bit more, not much, but a bit more deeper pool than at 2B. Both are going to be great additions to anyones team. Draft Both with confidence, I just like Ackleys contact a little bit better, and of course this was in hopes that Prince signs with Seattle. Although, don't count out Smoak having a big season and with the addition of Jesus Montero, this may be a sleeper team, even if they cannot compete with the Angels and Rangers, I think they will surprise themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my recent mock draft over at Fantasy Game Day Lawrie went in 3rd round 14th pick, the 5th 3B off the board. Ackley went 6th round 4th pick, the 9th 2B selected. Im extremely high on both. It should be noted that this draft occured before Seattle picked up Montero. I see Ackly being moved into the 2 hole now that Montero is there hitting 3rd. Ackley should get a boost in Runs and lose a few RBIs hitting 2nd.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree with you about Smoak having a breakout year. I had him for a good portion of last year's season and he gave me some much needed power to my team. But eventually I had to drop him do to his lack of average. My only concern about him is, from watching him eat away at my team's average last year, that his numbers will reflect similarly to that of an Adam Dunn, Mark Reynolds (another guy I had last year because Pedro Alverez sucked the big one) or as a young prospect in Mike Moustakas (which I read landed in your "to avoid list"). The guy either hits a homer or whiffs. Also, Petco Park is just about, if not the, biggest ballpark in the majors. Making anyone's home run totals dip (ex Adrian Beltre). What's your thoughts on the other prospects that you named here in this article (Belt, Montero, Rizzo, no a Cubbie)? Or even that of Bryce Harper??

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like Ackley and Lawrie both, but give the edge to Ackley just do to their poor lineup. I think the offensive numbers Toronot puts up makes Lawrie look that much better, that being said...I am predicting Belt, to have a much better year than in 11'. Hopefully his second stint in AAA helped out and with this offseason he worked on some things. I don't think Montero will be the powerhouse his numbers started to show in NY, just due to the inconsistancy in Seattle, but I do see him getting over drafted. I see 20-25 HR with 75 RBI and a .275BA. Rizzo, I hope and HOPE he smashes 35 HR in that Field at Wrigley. I have high hopes for Rizzo, although, I feel Padres upgraded in acquiring Alonso, who I am also a fan of.

    ReplyDelete